Friday, June 8, 2012

Perspective

The other night I decided to take some time and compile all of the quotes I have written in my journal over the past few years. They are quotes from individuals I have encountered on trips with the University of Portland (Rural Plunge, Urban Plunge, Border Plunge, Ashoka U Social Entrepreneurship Conference/TEDx talks) as well as from some reading I have done. These were all powerful experiences. As I was perusing my old journal I was once again taken aback by the wisdom I have received from others. Just listening to others provides such great insight, but what is insight if you do nothing with it? Many of the things I’ve been told have played a part in shaping me: my beliefs, the way I view the world and others, and my actions.  I have decided that I will start each of these posts about my current life and thoughts with a quote from someone who has inspired me with their own life and thoughts.

This first one is very applicable for me right now. It was from someone giving a TED talk (if you haven’t heard of them, now is the time. Go to ted.com and be prepared for some cerebral expansion) and in all honesty I can’t pinpoint which one exactly right now but it really resonates with me currently.

“Pretend you don’t know everything, go in hungry and wide-eyed.” –Ronnie Booth

YES. I don’t know everything. Yo tengo hambre. I’m hungry for this new adventure, for stories, for extreme challenges, everything. Even the hard times are going to be completely worth it. I feel like at the moment I’m more wide-eyed than ever. Language school 4 hours a day, for 4 weeks, living with a host family, and always having to listen closely has made me even more wide-eyed that I anticipated (in many senses- literally sometimes I can’t hide the fact that I really have no idea what is going on, leaving my expression similar to this o_o)

Photo credit: Mark Schaller. A pretty typical day in Copan. 
Photo credit: Mark Schaller. Near the central park in Copan Ruinas. I spy Kurt and I...

I suppose it’s also time for an update on what I’ve been doing. Kurt (my boyfriend of 2+ years) and I left for Honduras on May 30th. We arrived in San Pedro Sula, the commercial capital of Honduras in the evening and stayed the night in Tamarindo Hostel. We met a German guy named Mark who had been traveling the world since February and will continue until at least October and all traveled together to Copán Ruinas. In Copán we have had time to explore the Mayan ruins, a few museums, and on Monday started language school.


At a residential site in the Mayan ruins in Copan Ruinas.


Heading back for a second day was completely worth it. 



What I gathered from a second day back at the ruins was how much perspective makes a difference. We were at the same ruins, but looking at them from different areas and I was continually amazed at how beautiful everything looked from a different perspective.


 We will be staying the next few weeks with a host family and some of my fellow volunteers from NPH will arrive on Monday! My host family consists of my parents Sara and Ernesto and their two daughters Dulce and Sonja. I'll let you all know about language school, my family, and some of my new found loves of Honduras soon!

Love from Honduras,

Alissa

No comments:

Post a Comment